Consultants

A timeless lesson on how consultants can make a

difference for an organization.

Last week, we took some friends out to a new

restaurant, and noticed that the waiter who took our

order carried a spoon in his shirt pocket. It seemed a

little strange. When the busboy brought our water and

utensils, I  noticed he also had a spoon in his shirt

pocket. Then looked around saw that all the staff had

spoons in their pockets.

When the waiter came back to serve our soup I

asked, "Why the spoon?"

"Well," he explained, "the restaurant's owners

hired Andersen  Consulting to revamp all our processes

. After several months of analysis, they concluded

that the spoon was the most frequently dropped

utensil. It represents a drop frequency of

approximately 3 spoons per table per hour.  If our

personnel are better prepared, we can reduce the

number of trips back to the kitchen and save 15

man-hours per shift."

As luck would have it, I dropped my spoon and he was

able to replace it with his spare. "I'll get another

spoon next time I go to the kitchen  instead of making

an extra trip to get it right now." I was impressed.

I also noticed that there was a string hanging out of

the waiter's  fly.  Looking around, I noticed that all

the waiters had the same string hanging from their

flies. So before he walked off, I asked the waiter

"Excuse me, but can you tell me why you have that

string  right  there?

"Oh, certainly!" Then he lowered his voice. "Not

everyone is so observant. That consulting firm I

mentioned also found out that we could save time in

the restroom. By tying this string to the tip of you

know what, we can pull it out without touching it and

eliminate the need to wash our hands, shortening the

time spent in the restroom by 76.39%."

"After you get it out, how do you put it back?"

"Well," he whispered, "don't know about the others, but

I use the spoon."


http://www.cad.co.za/index.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------


Comments

Popular Posts