Ships in the night

The most influential business connections that we have had, all have one strange fact in common. They were all incredible chance meetings that were clearly meant to be.
Let me explain with one example.

Some years ago my brother in law calls asked me to call on one of his acquaintances. It seems that this company was "going retail" and would need to computerize. To please my brother in-law, if not for any other reason, I setup the meeting.

When I met the client, it was clear that our software would be overkill. The client was a “owner run” entrepreneur importer and wholesaler and completely wrong for us. Our client profile at the time was the multi store clothing Mass Discounter. This client was late for the meeting, and in the middle of a meeting with somebody else. He asked me to quickly give him my sales pitch so he could go on with his other meeting. He also asked if the other gentlemen could remain in the office while I did my presentation, and I said “why not?”.

As my “spiel” progresses I was not surprised to find that all the ideas and concepts flying way over his head. The observer however stopped me regularly and asked me the “right questions”. I was intrigued and when I found out that he represented a group of clothing stores that fitted my profile I hooked up with him and did one of the most amazing deals ever. The stranger in the room was the late Mr Ebrahim Lorgat (Nala Bhai) of Lorsons and the rest is history.

Comments

Popular Posts