Can a man really change another...

About a year ago at a family wedding all the 'boys' were talking about how they went for this seminar. Went in as smokers and came out non-smokers.

Allen Carr's Easy Way.

I was intrigued by this for several reasons. When my cousin's wife asked me for ideas to help her son give up smoking, I said that there was no way to get him to stop. My dad had tried every argument, and it was wasted on me. I knew all the horror stories and it had no effect on me as a smoker. I told her that there was nothing she could do and that he would give up when he had reached 'his moment'.

That one could be exposed to some guy talking about giving up smoking, and go on to actually give up, was inconceivable. What could he be saying to all those people to make them want to give up?

The real reason that I was intrigued was that I had secretly fallen off the wagon.
My secret smoking was beginning to become an obsession.
Life was defined by just making it to the next secret smoking opportunity.
I smoked on weekends, and only at home.
Soon I smoked at home, pretty much all the time, and nobody knew, (or so I assumed).

Deep within me was a wish to get back on the wagon, and get my SMUG back.
Ex smokers are very smug.
I could not bear to think of myself as a failure, again.

I planned to quit (again) during Ramadan 2007 and everything went according to plan.
The fact that I got the Audio book (courtesy of Prof Simjee)Mid Ramadan, was an incredible coincidence.

Allen Carr. The man was incredible. From the vantage point of a chain smoker, he delivered a series of flawless augments that worked to break the assumptions that all smokers operate under. Smoking is fun, is rewarding, and difficult to give up.

When he was done one realizes that to "give up" implies that one had something. To quit is to give up an addiction. He goes on to prove at length that "addiction" is exactly what the dependence on nicotine is.

I am once again a non-smoker and an ex-smoker, but this time around I am not moping, or holding out with the will power method. It really is easy with the Easy Way.

Many years later I find myself smoking at functions and when I travel. 
I still use nicotine gum but who's perfect. 



Somebody just told me yesterday that with the fortune I spent on nicotine gum over the years it would have been cheaper to buy a new set of lungs! 

Comments

Popular Posts