Essack Dhoda

Quite a guy.
I recently met a friend and remembered that his granddad who was an amazing charismatic larger than life funny old man, use to tease me when I was a child.
The granddad in question was Essack Dhoda and he owned Dhodas the most fabulous fruit shop in Pietermaritzburg.

He was the most amazing witty person you could meet and he made everyone laugh.
And sold them fruit. Lots of fruit.

Anyway I must have at some point spent a little too long checking my change and he swore at me,   saying that "this bloody Parak boy. Paid me 20 cents and expects 50 in change". (Spoken in a dying language - our mother tongue)

Then he would  tell this story every time he saw me making sure everyone around heard.

It was our thing.
Our little game.
I was between 6 and 10 years old at the time, just a little kid.

What I had not realised is that it was his thing too.

I had his daughter over  for lunch yesterday and thought I would share this wonderful Story with her and that she might appreciate it.
Speaking fondly of her funny late dad.

She surprised me in that she was able to complete the story for me.
She was present at the store, at the time.
Helping her dad. And she remembered in greater detail than I did.

It seems that the old man looked forward to my walking past the store after school. And he would wait in anticipation for the school Bell and run to the front of the shop if he was out back. And if I was late he would swear and ask why that Parak boy was late.
This story really warmed me. To think that an old man looked forward to my passing by his shop just to tease me and have a bit of fun.
ESSACK MOTA I miss you.
And hope that you are smiling, where ever you are.
Rest in peace my friend.

Comments

Popular Posts