Caught smoking on the school grounds.

It was during play break, the first break of the day and we had no idea that we were about to be in a whole lot of trouble.
The boys ground was the place to be. 

We huddled in groups sharing a cigarette.
This was before hepatitis and all of the things that prevent us from sharing stuff with strangers.
When somebody in the circle dragged on it too hard we told them to stop "revving" it as it burnt unevenly. 
And every so often we would get a novice who would slobber and wet the filter. 
We would then rag them and kick them out of the circle. It was really bad to be banished from a smoking circle. 

There was a unique camaraderie. 
So much so that many in the circle were non smokers who were just along  for the ride. 
We told jokes and had great fun.

Some boys were mean and forced the newbies to smoke but our group was different in that nobody smoked unless they wanted to. 
And even then they had to occasionally buy a skyf from the many merchants who plied the grounds. 
Merchants were school kids who were into making profit from this lucrative trade. 
Who knows where these kids are today. 
Either cooking meth or in politics probably.
Anyway we had a network of scouts and it was usually quite safe in that we would know about a raid long before they got to us and unless we were caught red handed literally, we couldn't be touched.
This day was different. The guy next to me in the circle asked for his turn and I handed the but to non other than Mr Bhanobhai.! Vice principal of the school and hell bent on breaking vice in the school. Maybe that's why was the he was the "vice" principal. He had dressed in grey pants and white shirt and used his diminutive size to fool our scouts.

In his usual minimalist fashion he sent us all to the office to wait for him there. 
We were good and busted. 
Probably looking at a caning at the least, letters to our parents if things went south.
Panic stricken we walked to the office. Heads low. 
All the kids we passed either expressed their support or jeered us. In equal part. 
We were in deep shit. Finally caught. Like rats.
While I was no stranger to being caned, one never really gets used to it, and there was the distinct possibility of getting parents involved and that would be a disaster.

We get to the office and stood in a line, feeling like we were going to be executed in that order. 
I somehow always end up first and this time was no exception.

Mr Mia the principal walked in and asked me, "Parak, what's going on".
I answered "caught smoking".
 
He then smiled at me and congratulated me saying "nice work, I knew you would come around. And proceeded to lead the rest of the boys into his office. 
They all emerged in pain and then it dawned on me...
I was a prefect and he thought I had brought in this haul! 
That it was my bust. 

God forgive me, for what I did next.
Quietly turned around and escaped..
I dreaded the day when the game would be up, but nobody ever found out, and I pulled it off.
How hectic was that?

Comments

Popular Posts