Lost at the beach

When  I was about 5 or 6 I went to the beach with my Nana and the whole Vanker clan. There were lots of kids and it was, if memory serves me Easter weekend or some such holiday.
The beach we went to was La Mercy and in those days the holiday was a very special event.  The strip of land between the waterline and the road was lined with tents of the hoards that camped at the beach. The scene looking at the shoreline with the ocean behind you, was an amazing spectacle. 
Thousands of tents all jam packed with holiday makers.
Mostly Indian. In fact all Indians.
We played in the water until we lunch time and I was obviously deep in thought. In a dwaal as my dad would say.
When I looked up,  I noticed that I was alone.
None of my group were anywhere to be seen.
The solid line of tents all looked the same and when I walked along the shoreline looking for my family, I was totally turned around.
I could not even find the spot I started off in.
This state of silent panic was obviously visible to all those around and a group of Indian men approached me and asked if I was OK.
I told them I was lost and they laughed and took me into their tent. They had by the looks of it been drinking, hard.
When I asked when we were going to look for my people they insisted I join them for lunch. It was some kind of beryani. God alone knows what kind.  I had no appetite and was getting quite nervous at this stage.
After what seemed like a long,  long time we set out to find the Vankers.
Within a few minutes we did come across them and I thanked the funny strangers and went to my Nana and Nanie.
What I expected was a scolding and relief. I could not understand why they all seemed more worried than ever. Was somebody else also lost?
Then it dawned on me.
My dad was on his way and they had to face him. And they were petrified of what his reaction was going to be.
Apparently my dad was en-route telling my mum to prepare herself for the worst.  It was so obvious what it meant when somebody told you that your child was 'missing at the beach' .
While swimming.
They arrived and my mum took one look at me and fainted.
I was strangely not in any trouble and while I was steeling myself for a whipping I was treated like a celebrity.
Who can understand these grown ups,  was the thought that went though my mind. But I enjoyed the attention and the treats.


Comments

Popular Posts