As good as it gets

 In the movie as good as it gets, with Jack Nicholson..
He is a dysfunctional recluse who can't deal with people, but is somehow able to write women's romance novels under a female pen name.
Receptionist: How do you write women so well?
Melvin Udall: I think of a man. And I take away reason and accountability.

 Melvin Udall: No. I - I don't get this place. They make me buy a new outfit, and they let you in with a house dress. I don't get it.[He has no idea that he has insulted Carol. Sandbagged in extreme, she gets up, actually ready to leave.]
Melvin Udall: What? W-wait. No. Wait. Why? Where you going? No. Why? I mean, I . . . uh, I didn't mean it that way. I mean, you gotta sit down. You can still give me the dirty look, just sit down and give it to me.
Carol Connelly: Pay me a compliment, Melvin. I need one. Quick. You have no idea how much what you said hurt my feelings.[Melvin, who is really pissed, mutters.]
Melvin Udall: The mono minute that someone gets that they need you, they threaten to walk out. It never fails.
Carol Connelly: A compliment is something nice about somebody else. Now or never.
Melvin Udall: Okay.[He waves Carol down, and she sits.]
Carol Connelly: And mean it.
Melvin Udall: Can we order first?[Carol thinks and then nods. The waiter is across the room. This does not stop Melvin, who calls out to the waiter.]
Melvin Udall: Um, two hard-shell crab dinners, a pitcher of ice cold beer. [to Carol Connelly] Uh, baked or fries?
Carol Connelly: Fries.[Melvin does not hear Carol. She speaks louder.]
Carol Connelly: Fries.
Melvin Udall: Right.[He calls to the waiter.]
Melvin Udall: One baked, one fried.[The waiter shouts back.]
Waiter: I'll tell your waiter.
Melvin Udall: What a waiter. [to Carol Connelly] Okay. Now, I got a real great compliment for you, and it's true.
Carol Connelly: I'm so afraid you're about to say something awful.
Melvin Udall: Don't be pessimistic. It's not your style. Okay. Here I go. Clearly a mistake. I've got this what? Ailment. My doctor, a shrink that I used to go to all the time, he says that in 50 or 60 percent of the cases, a pill really helps. I hate pills. Very dangerous thing, pills. "Hate", I'm using the word "hate" here about pills. "Hate". My compliment is that night when you came over and told me that you would never . . .
Carol Connelly: Um.
Melvin Udall: Um, all right, well, you were there. You know. You know what you said. Well, my compliment to you is the next morning, I started taking the pills.[Carol is a little confused.]
Carol Connelly: I don't quite get how that's a compliment for me.
Melvin Udall: You make me want to be a better man.
Carol Connelly: That's maybe the best compliment of my life.
Melvin Udall: Well, maybe I overshot a little because I was aiming at just enough to keep you from walking out.
[Carol and Melvin laugh.]

Comments

Popular Posts