Fong Kong

A few years ago Maputo got a new airport.
All glass and steel.
Compliments of the Chinese government who are a big trading partner.
The airport is positively world class and can compare with the best.
And it was built entirely by Chinese, with materials from China.
Everything from the electronic hand sensing taps to the boom gates in the parking lot.
The first sign, that everything was not going well was last  Friday, when I arrived, I noticed the booms were being operated manually.
I heard the driver saying something that sounded like "Fong Kong".
Today I walked through customs and as is my habit went straight to the super clean mens room to sanitise my hands.
Don't want to catch cooties from all the various travellers that touch all the surfaces here.
I told the attendant that the soap dispenser was not dispensing soap and he promptly poured some blue goop into my hand from a used water bottle.
Then when I waved my hand around trying to get the water from the tap going, the attendant crawled under the counter and opened the tap for me.
And when I was done washing he went back underneath to close the mains manually.
At this point I didn't even try the paper towel dispenser, cos he was waiting there to give me a strip of towel.
Automation Maputo style.
I was just grateful I didn't have to poo or use the bidet.

M Parak. 

Comments

Popular Posts