Rear facing seats on planes

Every time I fly, I can't help but wonder why the airline seats are arranged the way they are.
I look down the Isle at the flight attendants and see them using the fold up temporary seats and notice that they have their backs to the front of the plane.
They literally are facing the other way.
In the event of a collision, they wouldn't even need to be wearing their belts as their bodies would be pushed back against the backrest.
Why aren't all seats on modern  planes facing backwards? . Surely most collisions and crashes find passengers being hurled forwards. Rear facing makes much more sense.

Unless I am missing something.

I remember watching an edition of myth busters where they were examining the myth that airlines ask you to assume the brace position in an emergency as it would most likely snap your neck and they would get to pay "death benefits", one, off, instead of expensive disability, for extensive periods.
The myth was debunked, but only just and only for average to shorter individuals.

So the next time you are flying...

I have given the above more thought since I began and I think I might understand the logic now.

If a passenger didn't buckle up for takeoff they would be flung against the thrust of the takeoff, and  in this scenario forward facing would be better. Bear in mind that every flight consists of at least one takeoff, and only the miniscule probability of a crash.
So statistically the current config is better.

Comments

Popular Posts