Heart beats.

When we were young music was a part of our lives. A rare commodity, that we could only afford in small stolen moments.
We recorded music off the radio and when we could afford it bought seven singles and played them, over and over, and over again until the medium got worn out.
We couldnt even imagine a world where we could get any song, past or present, anytime. Such a thing would be like a magic lamp, a fantasy beyond amazing.
Now we find ourselves living in that world.
Any music you can think of. Anything we hear, anywhere, we can have. Crystal clear, and free of distortion. With us in the car or gym. Unlimited music, anywhere.
Odd that it has resulted in lessening the value of music. The currency of music has fallen as a result, and we find ourselves overrun by temporary fads and Gangam style catchy funny pieces.
When I travel I choose a track that I like, and play it on repeat.
Every trip I go on, I choose something that I think has more meaning and depth than the regular twaddle, and the repetition takes me  back to simpler time.
I find that when you do this, instead of flitting through tons of new stuff, something magical happens.
Its as if the music rewires my brain and I begin to appreciate every note, every nuance, as the performing musician might have when they created it.
There is a kind of fugue state that this induces that relaxes me on long flights. A high that I end up chasing at every opportunity. It's probably some kind of meditation, or hypnosis, but it leaves me fulfilled rested alert and above all, happy.
When my wife found out what I was doing, she assumed that I had finally lost my marbles, but it didn't matter to me.
I just know that it  works.

M Parak
2017

Comments

Popular Posts