The thing about airlines

As a frequent flyer on  Emirates airline, I couldn't help but notice an interesting phenomenon.
When I bought an economy ticket and sat amongst the troops I was treated like a rock star. The attendants were, very attendant, and my wife would often get upset as their "attention" bordered on flirtation.
As a platinum member, they singled me out for the "special" treatment.

Throughout the flight, they came to check on my comfort to the extent of sometimes getting a little handsy. There might be hundreds of passengers but I was made to feel special.
When I fly alone for business, it's on business class and I  notice a, not so subtle, shift in the experience.
Firstly, the cabin is filled with other frequent flyers. All the passengers were, therefore "special" and one was simply running in a pack.
One of the many.
The other factor was that there was clearly some kind of pecking order to the assignments. Junior "wannabe" attendants in economy, and senior accomplished at the front.
So while the attendants in business and first might be the one who has demonstrated their skills, and honed their craft, they were also more mature, and less enthusiastic.
When you get greeted it's efficient, but all business. And if you are fussy, or being an ass, they know how to handle you. But don't expect any giggling borderline playful, anything.
I suppose it's the same at hospitals
You are either at the bottom floor with trainee nurses who are young and overeager to please, or you are at the top being attended to by battle-hardened axes who might know their work but have no time for your crap.
M Parak
Aug 2018
(En route Accra)

Comments

Popular Posts