Sweeping up the dust

I had a memory, a flashback, sort of. Of watching workman sprinkle damp sawdust over the floor so they could sweep up the dust.
They sometimes used an old cold drink bottle filled with water with a few holes in the cap as a sprinkler. When the floor had a few splashes they swept off all the dust that had clumped together.
I don't think Ayesha my daughter has ever seen such a thing and certainly not her kids, so it gets me thinking on how much else will be lost from my generation when I go.
Should I spend my time telling the kids how life looked back then? 
Just so they would know what it was like, and would one day find that they could sweep up the dust if they ever wanted to

Or just live in the moment and embrace the day.

What is lost is lost and the new ones will find their own way into their future that could be so different from anything I could imagine. A future with no dust perhaps. Or a future where water is too precious to waste on the dust.

M Parak
November 2018

Comments

Popular Posts