The Rubik cube


Ever since I was a teenager l have grappled with the dreaded cube.
I usually can do one or two sides or one or two layers and after that it's wahala.
My brother in law (who is super smart) told us that he had solved the cube, and while I believed him, I had never seen anybody solve the cube.
Even though at the time everyone had them.
I recently bought a really good cube online and tried again. As before, I was able to find my way to the first two layers and as before got stuck at the last layer.
This time around I didn't stress but simply got to this point over and over until it came naturally.
I then followed a YouTube video and saw how the last, crucial, layer was done.
At first, I didn't think I could remember all the steps, and all the moves but after a few days I got it. Like muscle memory, my fingers were doing all the right things.
After some practice, I went from 10 min down to 3 minutes.
We then bought a few for the office and Andrew went down the same road as me and mastered it.
Hoosen took a lot more time understanding the cube and he too mastered it.
I now believe that anybody can master the cube.  I could talk anybody through the steps and given some practice they would master it.
So the big question is why?
Why was it so important that we master the cube?
For my part, I needed to know that you could still teach an old dog new tricks and that I still had the ability to learn new things, that I couldn't do before.
For the team, it made a really good team exercise and gave us all something to be proud of. Even though it's not so much that we are smart but that but rather that we are able to learn and master a new technique.
This will I am sure as to the initiation rituals that we have at the office and that is not a bad thing.
In ten years time, we will get the 4x4 and start again.
M Parak
Feb 2019


increase the traffic to your blog



Comments

Popular Posts