New toys. An addiction



I am sure that what I am about to describe is not unique to me but what I am certain of is that it can't possibly be this bad for others.
While most people experience inertia and resist change, as do I some of the time, we often imagine ourselves with some new gadget and it gives us a thrill. I used to treat this as a character flaw and work on purging this from myself but over the years I have come to realize that life without this excitement would be quite dull.
There are so few things that give grownups real joy. The kind of pure joy that a child feels. So I have come to accept that if anything gives you joy and doesn't directly harm others and won't end up killing you, (too badly) go for it.
Life is short.
And even if there is some calculated risk, go for it. At the very least you need the cardio. The Butterflies in the belly and the pounding heart. All good for you. A natural antidote to the dull dreary, dressed which is life.
What I want to discuss was the need to get new toys, the selecting, the research, the anticipation, and then the disappointment when it's late, or doesn't measure up to our expectations and finally how it literally ceases to be meaningful when our attention shifts to the next shiny toy.
I like toys.
(who doesn't)
When I browse Amazon or the numerous web reviews on new shit I am constantly looking for that next high. Often it is not an expensive item. I usually go for quirky stuff, that is a little brainy (and maybe a likely showy)
The party tricks. Phones and toys. Survival gear and strange shit.
From magnets to self heating smart coffee mugs to a wind resistant umbrella to Amazon's Alex's devices.
Once my eye falls on a deal and it's in my basket the game is on.
Initially when it's still days away I am less distracted by it, but as the delivery date approaches, I am increasingly excited and on a high of anticipation.
I often have trouble sleeping the night or two before the D day.
Then I get a call from home saying that a package has arrived for me. And the excitement changes. Now I am all about getting home or having somebody bring it to me.
When I get home, or somebody does bring it to me, I tear through the packaging.
I must add that that best part of the entire game is at that moment.
The pre-unboxing that is the sweet spot. That and the time before delivery.
The anticipation.
Once the box is opened the product either disappoints, as is usually the case, or it doesn't.
If it's a bust a true believer will move on to the next hit. The next high. There is no room on this bus for getting banged up with regret.
Then comes the next few days or weeks when the new toy is front and center. If its a watch, ask me the time. Anytime. Learning all the tricks and getting it all set up just so, until the next big thing.
The fact that we are able to move on and walk away from toys without attachment probably speaks volumes about our damaged sense of commitment, but it also makes it easy to sell cheap on gumtree or to just give stuff away.
While I am addicted to this I don't have a pile of shit in my drawer as others do. I change toys often and might only own one junker as a spare to tide me between devices.
One in one out.
M Parak
Dubai
April 2019


increase the traffic to your blog


Comments

Popular Posts