Punked by the cube

I recently had guests over for supper and did the rubic cube for a kid as a party trick.
That night when everyone had gone I sat in front of the TV with my cube.
Over the past few months, I had reached the stage where I could almost do the cube with my eyes closed.
That night I must have missed a step because the last level remained scrambled.
My immediate reaction was to scramble and redo and inexplicably I failed again.
I got increasingly frantic after every failed attempt and each time I came back to a single corner that would not sit straight.
Finally, it came to me that someone had forced one piece the wrong way.
I hadn't even known that such a thing was even possible.
Having turned the piece around it all fell into place and I could do the cube again in under 100 seconds.
(no speed cube record) good time for me.
Then I realized that it was a lesson I needed to learn.
Hubris is a bad thing.
M Parak
July 2019 

Comments

Popular Posts