private War

Today I went to visit a classmate who was diagnosed with stage 4 lymphoma.

When I saw him last he was in the chemo ward, getting ready for his first round of therapy. They were going to hit the cancer with the most aggressive chemotherapy available. At the time he was in better spirits than I would have expected. He was surrounded by a loving family, kids and an ex wife. 
All of them, supportive and trying to give off positive vibes.

Today, after he had two rounds of continuous chemo, round the clock for weeks on end he was looking a little banged up but surprisingly strong.

From the moment I arrived, it was obvious that this was a man who has been through a war, and comes out the other end, having defeated the enemy. The cancer had turned into the enemy and his blood was up and being the guy who loves a good fight, he went in guns hot.

He spoke like the foe was vanquished and was on top of the world. Having proven the doctors, who gave him 4 months to live, wrong.  He smoked more than he ever did and did a regular joint in between the cigarettes, and he was so sure that he had fought the good fight, and against all the odds, that he had won.

The hour I spent with him was surreal. Here was a man who was my age, who had found out that his time was up. If I had expected to find a man who was broken by wasting effects of cancer or the aggressive chemo, I was pleasantly surprised to find a soldier who was kicking arse. 

The sceptic in me kept reminding me that cancer doesn't work that way. 

I was sure that he was in denial,  but what difference would what I think, make to a man who is staring into the abyss.  I swallowed my inner sceptic and just enjoyed the moment. If it turns out he was right,   maybe he will and up writing a book. If not, then he will get really, really sick. Either way, he is making the most of whatever time he has left and not dragging his heels or feeling sorry for himself. 


M Parak 
Nov 2019

Comments

Popular Posts