On the tip of my tongue.

I have always had stuff on the tip of my tongue and not been able to find the right word. Even as a young man  I have had to deal with the fact that some word that I know well, eluded me at a crucial moment.

Over the years I found that this "lethologica" got progressively worse and I was having to constantly speak and write around these elusive words. Doing it this way meant having to work twice as hard to avoid the missing words but I began to notice an emerging pattern. There are particular words that I have more difficulty with than others. There is no logical reason for this but it seems I might have a problem with specific words.

I went on to write down a description of every word I grapple with and regularly when I am not in the "hot seat" try and work out what the word was.

Soon I had a list of about 20 words.

This is by no means a comprehensive list of words that I have a problem with but its enough to show me that its not a degradation of the mind but a hardening, that leaves it less pliable.

Some of the words I have a tough time with are regular everyday words that people would not believe I have difficulty with.

Examples:

Defect (as in, to the other side)
Actuarial science
Artefact.
Formication
Stockholm syndrome
Acupuncture
Jk Rowling.
Stalingrad strategy. Zuma
Autoclave



They don't have anything I can detect in common and seeing as I have a list I can easily read through the list while writing so that the words are all available to me when I write. When I speak however I still find that I have to shuffle and dance around this Dyslexia.

What I was hoping was to find if there are others out there who suffer from the same predicament and if their list of words, like mine, are a regular repeating list.

The point I am making is that its not hard and obscure words that I have difficulty with. What troubles me are the everyday regular words. And it's often the same words.

This might not actually be the normal degradation of the mind, but some kind of mental block that was designed to protect one's psyche from the memory of past trauma. This same mechanism might have somehow malfunctioned.

M Parak.
Dec 2019





Comments

Popular Posts