Should you lets kids win?


I have always heard that one should play to win with kids. Not too hard, and not too brutally but just hard enough to get them to challenge themselves, and to get them to push a little further.

The reality of my experience is that unless they are that unique miserable brand of super competitive, super driven person, its best to let them win.

Why you might ask would I allow the child, who I just taught to play TikTokTo, to beat me at the same game, a few minutes later?

The answer is that I believe that when faced with a new unfamiliar game if they felt the thrill of victory, even if it's against that dullard of a GrandDad, they will get to enjoy the spirit of the game. When they soon tire of whipping the old man, he makes a remarkable comeback, just to keep it interesting.

Just often enough that the odds appear even.

Always throw the first game or even the first few. Then they will get overconfident and learn humility and in turn, strive to get better.

Above all else, some of the joy of the game is winning, and if you want to develop the love of the game you need to show off all that it has to offer. 

M Parak
May 2020


Comments

Popular Posts