World War

This morning at iftaar I discovered that Hawa my granddaughter hadn't heard of Adolph Hitler and it thrilled me that we had found a new topic that we could explore this Ramadan.

I opened  with an explanation of what a world War was. Then, I quoted Albert Einstein when he said..

"I don't know what weapons will be used in World War 3, but I am sure World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." 

This was intended to be a lesson to humanity. That our current technology was so devastating that an all out war would leave us in the dark ages. 

No better than the cave man.

Since she might not have heard of Einstein I said he was probably the smartest man to have lived. 

The little nine year old digested this, then  surprised me with her response.

"He was wrong wasn't he" 

I thought perhaps she didn't understand, and we got into it, when she explained that the current pandemic was infact a World War.

I could see the gears moving in her head as she made the connection and realised that she had voiced a great truth..

What I admire most about the kids is how they gravitate towards the simple explanations and that we who are hindered by experience are unable to make that leap of revelation, that they find so easy. 

Once she had made this connection she was unstoppable in exploring the idea and fleshing it out. 

I marveled at this and in that moment I found myself  wishing  I live long enough to meet the woman she will become.

M Parak
April 2021



Ps.

You know your baby is growing up when she found a typo reading this piece. 

Comments

Popular Posts