Mr Mehboob, of DJ College Karachi. An amazing man

It was our first year in Karachi. Twenty five young South Africans, all aged nineteen and all experiencing the freedom of living in a hostel, and playing at being grown up for the first time.
We organized the mess and hired a cook and when we were so proud of our little piece of home we invited Mr Mehboob to supper. He by the way was the Principal of DJ College and our warden in the hostel.
After we had all had a lovely meal some of the boys decided that we should entertain Mr Mehboob with stories and jokes, and we all had a great time. Just in the best part, my friend Faizal Jassat (who is now a doctor) insisted that I sing a song to Mr Mehboob. He insisted that I sing the Joan Baez song Bangladesh to him. It was an innocent enough request and I resisted for as long as I could and then I sang. It was after all a lovely song.
Mr Mehboob sat through the whole song and when I got the the tear jerking end, he motioned me to come close to him and he told me in my ear, "be careful where you sing that song".
And I laughted it off not knowing what he meant.
Years later I learnt the history of Bangladesh and East Pakistan and I knew that the song described the bloody atrocities that Pakistan committed in Bangladesh, and the terrible, terrible soldiers that the song referred to were Pakistani Shock troupes.!!
Almost thirty years later, I truly understand the measure of the man, who was able to sit there through the song, listening intently, and have the presence of mind to take me aside and give me a friendly warning.
I was so young and naïve, and he was so wise. I wish I had seen this sooner and had the time to really sit down and speak to him.
Life is about timing. Often we only appreciate the advice and wisdom of others after they are gone. Bad timing I suppose. But in truth, that incident lives in my memory, and what can one really hope for at the end, but to live in the memories of those we leave behind.
Mr Mehboob, where ever you are, I thank you.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow! what a touching story, Mr mehboob sounds like an amazing man.

Popular Posts