Last Man Standing

I had a dream this morning, and it really made me think.

As I approach middle age, there are fewer old people in my world.
My dad, and my father in law are the few remaining tiers that exist above me in the family tree.

I have known a few truly funny and amazing old men, some of whom have passed on. WE took their brand of humor for granted, but I see now that when they are gone, the current generation who are far more Westernized, and English centric, are a completely different sort.

It came to me that all subsequent generations have lost their mother tongue and that special charismatic way that was unique to a particular period in history.

While the wheel of life turns and new generations will replace old ones and man will always find things to talk about and jokes will always be funny, in any language, the world will be a poorer place for having lost these amazing old men who live only in my memory.
They are irreplaceable and when they are gone, the space they occupy will be vacant, forever.

Comments

Popular Posts