Don't give me Flac

When I shop for headphones I get to hear the audiophiles talking about the mid-end, the highs and the lows, and it's all just big words to my untrained ear.
Seems like a ploy, to charge ten times more.
I can hear the extra base in Dr Dre, but that doesn't take a decerning ear, and that's about the extent of my range.
If it's not tinny, and has no crackle and doesn't warp at high volumes it sounds fine to me.
Recently I decided to delete my entire collection from my phone and replace my favorites with FLAC lossless audio.
Each file was 10 times the size of the mp3 it replaced, and I figured that it might be like the transition from SD to HD and then to UHD.
Once you experienced it, there was no going back. You had to let your eyes adjust to the higher definition first, then you just could not tolerate anything less.
Maybe it worked for ears too.
When I made the transition from tape and vinyl to CD I had come to appreciate the snappy sound, free of crackle and hiss.
Silence that was absolute.
Now I find a smoothness, for want of a vocabulary to describe the experience.
Smooth and crisp.
Maybe when I have had more time with this I might be able to spot the difference, but right now all I can say is its smooth, like butter.
I can't, however, be absolutely certain that it's not just my imagination.

1-11-2015

Comments

Popular Posts